Women in the Business Arena™ EP 61: How To Know When You Are Over-Owning or Under-Owning Your Responsibility
“Where are we over-owning or under-owning with our clients?”
In this week’s episode, we are dipping a toe into a discussion that is much bigger than any one podcast episode. This is a topic that we face in our businesses every day, especially as women. For many of us, there is a challenge of either over-owning or under-owning our responsibility and this has a dramatic effect on our business. We’re constantly having to balance the amount of responsibility that we take on from others and for ourselves.
“A lot of people are over-owning the things that are not their responsibility and under-owning the things that actually are”
Over-owning or under-owning leads to exhaustion and sucks the energy right out of us. It means you get less done and are focused on the wrong things instead of the right ones. When any business owner starts to take responsibility for their clients behaviour, they lose the ability to lead. Leadership requires being responsible for yourself and letting others be responsible for themselves.
“In order to be a leader, you have to be clear about what your responsibility is, and you have to be clear about what you can and can’t do”
When you over-own the responsibility of another person you automatically under-own the responsibility that you have to the other people that you serve. This can show up in work with clients, friends, family, and in your business. When you try to become all things to all people it’s impossible to not become over-extended in other areas of your life and business.
“We are denying the world our bigger, grander selves by not stepping into our circle of power and recognizing the energy that’s being wasted by over-owning things”
Some Topics we talk about in this episode:
- Introduction - 0:57
- Over-Owning vs Under-Owning - 3:12
- The Difference Between Being a Leader and a Healer - 6:27
- An Example of Over and Under-Owning - 13:20
- Reference Points for Responsibility - 17:32
- Thoughts on Leadership - 22:46
- Influencing and Circles of Power - 26:48
- Systemic Over-Owning - 33:44
- Wrap-up and Takeaways - 39:15
How to get involved
- Join the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook and continue the discussion starting next week! https://www.facebook.com/groups/womeninthebusinessarena
- Reach out to us - we’d love to hear more about where you’re at in life and business! Find out more at www.womeninthebusinessarena.com
If you liked this episode, be sure to subscribe and leave a quick review on iTunes. It would mean the world to hear your feedback and we’d love for you to help us spread the word!