Women in the Business Arena™ EP182: Becoming Untamed & Embracing Your True Nature
“If we were just innately ourselves - if we weren't always trying to be more, trying to operate differently than our nature, if we weren't always trying to operate outside of that wildness - our lives would be so easy. If we were just operating in our innate self all the time, it would be effortless.”
- Sonya Stattmann
Untamed has been everywhere this year and I finally picked up a copy. If you haven’t seen it, it’s Glennon Doyle’s latest book and an exploration of the ways women are suppressed by society and themselves.
All of these ideas boil down to one core action: freeing yourself from others’ expectations and finally stepping into your innate power.
“We as women are not allowed to be in our nature. And that conditioning starts very early on. As children we're taught to be polite, we're taught to be pretty, we're taught to look good, we're taught to act a certain way. And all of it really is about suppression. It's really about putting us in a box, taming us, making sure we fit in, making sure we serve others.”
- Sonya Stattmann
Laura and I really dig into the idea of becoming “untamed” in this episode. We talk about our resistance to the word “wild,” how we can embrace our true nature, and how patriarchy works to keep us within predetermined boxes.
We also discuss how much time and energy we would get back if we stopped taming ourselves and finally lived according to our OWN fundamental strengths and desires.
What You’ll Learn:
- How and why women are tamed by society early on.
- Why the idea of becoming a “wild” woman can bring up some resistance and even fear.
- How we limit our own power by staying tame and rejecting our true selves.
- Why raising our consciousness around these cages is the first step toward freeing ourselves and others.
- Why this process is ultimately about removing barriers to your true self, not seeking self-improvement or adding more to your plate.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Growth Quiz to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
- Untamed by Glennon Doyle
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma by Peter Levine and Ann Frederick
- Mary Oliver Reads “Wild Geese”
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!