Women in the Business Arena™ EP160: Drawing On Your Inner Motivation & Momentum
“We all have natural motivation in our essential self, but we get stuck in some of these layers that cover up our essential self. It could be grief, it could be fear, it could be the stuff that we need to work with inside of ourselves. When we really navigate and start to work in those things that are coming up, we dissolve all of that and we wake up to our natural motivation. So we don't have to find motivation. We don't have to do it. We don't have to make it happen. Motivation is always inside of us. But we have to dissolve the things that are in the way.” - Sonya Stattmann
Are you struggling to get motivated right now? If so, you are not the only one. It can be really difficult to find the drive, creativity, and energy that we usually put into our work these days. Motivation and momentum can be tricky at the best of times, so it is no wonder a lot of us are struggling to find either of them right now.
I think part of this stems from the way our culture looks at motivation. We think it is something we have to work hard to drum up - it exists somewhere outside of us and we have to chase it down. This is a pretty masculine interpretation of motivation (check out last week’s episode for more on this idea), but we wanted to explore a more internal, feminine approach to getting motivated today.
“I feel like we're all still holding some kind of expectation of how we should be operating, of what our momentum should look like, of what our motivation should look like. And then if it doesn't look that way, we beat ourselves up. And I think this is really a shift we have to make, because it is not effective in helping us progress. That's what I tell my clients: the more we beat ourselves up, the more we shame ourselves, the harder it is to be motivated again, the harder it is to pick up our momentum.” - Sonya Stattmann
In this week’s podcast episode, Laura and I are talking about why we are all experiencing fluctuations in our motivation right now and how to deal with changes to your momentum in business. We also discuss some practical tips for getting in touch with your inner motivation, what the generalized stress we’re feeling is doing to our bodies and minds, and why now is the perfect time to practice self-compassion. <3
What You’ll Learn:
- How the loss of our normal routines can affect our motivation to work and take care of ourselves.
- Why we can’t beat ourselves up to get more motivated.
- How the stress we are all experiencing right now affects our brains and bodies.
- A useful reframing of motivation away from the external and toward the internal and contemplative.
- Why women especially should start by sitting with their emotions if they want to get more in touch with their motivation.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Growth Quiz to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
- Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones by James Clear
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!