Women in the Business Arena™ EP158: Interrupted Patterns are an Opportunity for Realignment
“Most people are living very incongruently. Partly because we've been indoctrinated to be a certain way: if you're a good person, you do this. If you're a successful person, you do this. If you're a great business owner, you do this. We've been told ‘this is how you should operate, how you should be.’ And very few people have really spent a lot of time and effort to explore and understand ‘who actually am I? Forget everything that everyone says, throw it all away. Who am I and what is my natural rhythm? And how can I create a life that's congruent with that?’” - Sonya Stattmann
I hope you are all doing okay and starting to somewhat settle into a new rhythm of life. Things have been pretty shaken up for everyone, no matter where you live, who you live with or what you do. Laura and I have been thinking a lot about how patterns at every level have been interrupted recently - at the individual level, the family level, the communal level, and the global level.
All the upheaval has definitely been unsettling, but it also presents us with a big opportunity. While we are temporarily free from our usual daily loops, we have a chance to reflect on our “normal” routines and whether they have been serving us. Laura and I have both heard from friends and clients who feel they have more space and energy now than they usually do, since they are no longer commuting, working eight hours a day, or spending so much time away from home.
“This is an opportunity for us to wake up and look at what works for us. Does it work for us to sleep in till 11 o'clock, and then get up and start our workday? Does it work for us to work more in the evening? What actually allows us to be the most productive, the most balanced, the most fulfilled, the most happy, the most successful? I think so many people have never questioned the normal life that we have been taught to have. Wake up in the morning, eat your breakfast, go to school, go to work - we've gotten used to these patterns and we've not really stopped to question ‘Do they work for me? Is this conducive to my success?’” - Sonya Stattmann
In today’s episode Laura and I are digging into the ways the coronavirus has interrupted our usual patterns and forced us to reflect on them. We talk about what happens when we reconsider our habits, why most people don’t question the things they do on a daily basis, and how we can use this time to explore creating a life that is more aligned with our own unique, natural rhythms.
We also talk about practicing skills like self-compassion and acceptance, and how you can build new habits without burning yourself out.
What You’ll Learn:
- Why now is a good opportunity to evaluate what wasn’t working in our lives or was misaligned.
- How events that interrupt our normal patterns can affect our psyche and behavior.
- What we can gain by letting go of old expectations for ourselves.
- How each of us can learn to live by our own natural rhythm, instead of trying to fit ourselves into patterns that don’t align with our needs and desires.
- Why we should be speaking to ourselves with compassion right now more than ever.
- Why we don’t need to change everything if we discover that one thing in our life or business is misaligned.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Growth Quiz to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
- Self-Compassion with Dr. Kristin Neff
- Glo Yoga
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!