Women in the Business Arena™ EP155: (Part 1) Demystifying Marketing and Sales
“A sales call should never educate. It should never coach. It should never offer advice. And how many people on a sales call offer advice? Or try to prove themselves - especially women? We try to prove ourselves on the sales call - “if they just taste how amazing our coaching is, then they're gonna sign up for our services!” But that does not convert sales.” - Sonya Stattmann
We usually talk about the emotional journey of entrepreneurship on the podcast, but we wanted to change it up this week and talk about some more technical aspects of business: sales and marketing. If sales and marketing stress you out, don’t walk away yet - we’re breaking things down into their component parts today and making them simpler.
You can’t escape sales if you’re a business owner, so it’s your job to get really good converting people into clients. That has to come before your marketing, but a lot of us are getting caught up in the fun, creative aspects of marketing and pushing our sales process to the side. But that’s backwards, and today we’re going to tell you why.
“Sales is that conversion that leads to money, to income. So sales is actually much more important than marketing. Marketing is like awareness: brand awareness, or telling people who you are. Marketing is piquing their interest, but sales is converting them into clients or customers.” - Sonya Stattmann
In this episode, Laura and I start off talking about the difference between marketing and sales so you have some clear definitions to work with. Then we talk about why we need to focus on sales and getting good at that before we worry about marketing ourselves in every channel under the sun.
We also chat about why you shouldn’t give people free advice when you’re on a sales call, why you should practice closing sales, and why being better at converting will make your marketing easier. And we walk through this process with Laura’s business as an example so you can get a clear idea of what this advice looks like in practice.
What You’ll Learn:
- The key differences between marketing and sales.
- Why we can get tempted to do the fun parts of marketing and skip the necessary strategizing that will make our marketing more effective.
- Why sales is ultimately more important than marketing.
- How to connect with potential clients more closely and help them get to clarity around hiring you.
- Why you don’t need to give potential clients free advice or coaching to convince them to work with you.
- Why we need to look at the hard numbers in our business to find out where our marketing, sales, and conversion are effective.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Growth Quiz to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!