Women in the Business Arena™ EP153: How to Ground Yourself During Uncertain Times
“A skill, and a muscle really, that we're going to need to be able to work during these times is how to shift our attention. So often, we don't have control of our attention. Something dings on our phone and we're pulled to that. The news talks about something and all of a sudden our attention is pulled to that. So one of the things that needs to happen is that we need to get really clear and really practiced at shifting our attention.” - Sonya Stattmann
How are you doing? I know a lot has happened in the past couple weeks as we’ve seen the impact of the coronavirus unfold. Some of us might be locked down at home already, while others are still preparing for stricter regulations to come into effect. Wherever you are and whatever you’re doing, I hope you are safe and able to keep in touch with those you love.
I wanted to record a quick episode for you with some tips for staying grounded as we all learn to navigate this situation. Laura and I have covered many of these topics on the show before - moving through fear, self-care, dealing with uncertainty - so I’ve also linked some of those old episodes in the show notes for this episode. No matter what, we have to remember to take care of ourselves while this is all going on.
“Most of the fear that's coming up is about the uncertainty of the future, right? We're worried about what will happen to our income, what will happen to our businesses, what will happen to our clients. Will people stop paying us? Can we afford to pay our rent? These are some of the things that everybody has their attention on. And so one of the first things that's really, really important is that we get ourselves grounded and that we get back in the present moment.” - Sonya Stattmann
In this episode I talk about why getting grounded is the number one thing we need to do right now. I then talk about why we are going to have to get good at shifting and controlling our attention as we work to run our businesses amid everything else going on. I’ll also share a bit about how my family and I are moving through this situation with as much calm and compassion as we can.
And to close out, I’ll tell you why I think we as women business owners need to continue to be bold and offer our services right now.
What You’ll Learn:
- Why we all need to make it a priority to ground ourselves right now.
- Why we will need to use our discipline to shift our attention when we need to carry on and get work done.
- How my family and I are trying to create quality time together while we are all social distancing.
- Why we as business owners need to be creative and agile in the months ahead.
- Why I think we need to continue selling our offerings and supporting our clients right now more than ever.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Business Assessment to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
Other podcast episodes that can support you now:
- For fear, uncertainty and managing your energy:
- EP27: Managing your energy when business is intense https://tinyurl.com/ycsdq8dv
- EP44: Some strategies to deal with life as it keeps coming at you https://tinyurl.com/y8k9cp6j
- EP86: How to navigate uncertainty https://tinyurl.com/y8mwwsej
- EP93: Navigating overwhelm in our business & life https://tinyurl.com/y9gqyb8q
- EP128: Being more embodied in your business so you can feel less anxious and overwhelmed https://tinyurl.com/y4y9sddy
- EP134: Deconstructing stress & removing it from life and business https://tinyurl.com/wf88mwy
- For time constraints, navigating young kids at home and focusing on what is important:
- EP38: Subtracting rather than adding to our lives this year https://tinyurl.com/yapsg8by
- EP65: How do we get clear on what is really important in our business https://tinyurl.com/y9aat9b5
- EP110 - 112: Navigating school holidays, illness or responsibilities that take us away from our business (3-part series)
- For streamlining business and pivoting:
- EP29: Stabilising your business by stripping back https://tinyurl.com/y7kywlqs
- EP43: Focusing on the ONE thing to streamline your business for success https://tinyurl.com/yd9gz3m6
- EP54: Why niche? Let’s talk about your target market https://tinyurl.com/yc8f364j
- EP148: Why you need skills (not tactics) to find clients everywhere https://tinyurl.com/we4zpd4
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!