Women in the Business Arena™ EP152: Showing Up Compassionately for Challenging Days in Business
“Some of this is about what we perceive as women as being our 100%, which in my experience is actually more like 150%. But hardly is anyone in this place of like, “it's okay to just be at 100%.” Oh no, no - I'm going to over deliver, I'm going to bend over backwards. I'm going to do everything I can, I'm going to show up and be amazing.” - Sonya Stattmann
What do you do when it feels hard to show up in your business? Do you push yourself and grind it out, or do you scale back and slow down? If you’re a longtime listener of the show, I think you can guess which one I lean toward. :D
It is so important for us to have self-compassion when these hard days (or weeks, or months!) show up in our businesses. They are a part of life, so it is important to have the space to slow things down when we need to. But so many people design their businesses as if they will always be able to work at full capacity, which makes it hard to scale back when it becomes necessary.
“So many people are not building space into their businesses. They squeeze every single thing into their hours. But if you're working 50 hours a week, where's the space? What happens if you're sick? There is no space created. I think that everybody should design their business for 50% capacity. So: what do you think is your 100% capacity in terms of hours and time and energy? Okay, now halve that, and design a business from there.” - Sonya Stattmann
In this week’s episode Laura and I are talking about this topic because we’ve both felt the need to step back and slow down lately. Whether it’s a sick kid, a lack of creative energy or a need to redefine our business, it is so crucial to be able to take a breather from our work when we feel that it is needed.
Laura and I dive into capacity, why we need to build space into our business model, and how we can be compassionate with ourselves when we aren’t showing up at 100%. We also talk about why it’s important to remember that you have the power to create a business that supports your life and your overall wellness.
What You’ll Learn:
- How to get through the days, weeks, and even months where you feel off in your business.
- Why we have to remember that as business owners we have the choice to slow down whenever we need to.
- How to be compassionate with yourself when showing up for hard days.
- Why we don’t need to be vulnerable with everyone and can step back if we’re feeling off.
- The benefits of simplifying your business and not working at your absolute full capacity.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Business Assessment to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!