Women in the Business Arena™ EP144: How to Be an Activist Entrepreneur (and Why You Should Take a Stand)
“We have so many choices as a consumer. I can go online, and I can find experts in all these different industries. What I'm looking for is someone who's great at what they do, but someone who I can resonate with and someone who has similar values. So I actually want to know, are you an animal lover? Are you a human rights activist? I want to know that because I'm more likely to want to give you my business and work with you.” - Laura Shook-Guzman
When you hear the word “activism”, I bet you think of people marching in the streets, attending a protest, or knocking on doors in their neighborhoods. While these actions are definitely forms that activism can take, did you know that you can be an activist in your everyday life? How about being an activist in your business?
The truth is, activism is accessible to all of us wherever we are right now. As business owners, we work hard every day to improve the lives of our clients. We share our values with the world through our work. We can better our families, communities, and society as a whole just by showing up with passion and dedication for what we already love to do.
“Sometimes we're afraid to stand in our power. But what we don't recognize is that it gives us so much joy and happiness and fulfillment and strength when we are able to do it.” - Sonya Stattmann
In today’s episode, Laura and I are talking about activism and what it can look like for entrepreneurs. We chat about how businesses can have a positive impact on the world, how we can make entrepreneurial decisions that help other people, and why it’s important for us to use our voices for good.
Laura and I also share some of the ways we bring activism into our own businesses and give ideas for those of you who want to amplify the good you are already doing.
What You’ll Learn:
- What activism is and how entrepreneurs can engage in it while they do business.
- Why integrating your values into your business can be a great way to have a positive impact on the world and people around you.
- Why it is worth spending some time to get clear on the issues that are really important to you.
- What we mean by “using your voice” and how to get more comfortable tapping into your power and speaking up for what you believe in.
- Some of the ways Laura and I integrate activism into our businesses every day.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Business Assessment to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
- Maggie Kuhn
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!