Women in the Business Arena™ EP143: Creating Space comes BEFORE success, freedom or fulfillment
“We've all been conditioned to prioritize certain things as productive. What Sonya and I are suggesting is that you think about stillness and space as one of your superpowers to more clarity, to more creativity, to more productivity. You want to prioritize it just like you would a brainstorming meeting with your team. You really need just as much of that time for yourself to get clear and to practice spaciousness.” - Laura Shook-Guzman
There are so many elements that make up a business that is successful, sustainable, and healthy for the person running it. But Laura and I have found over the years that one of the most important, and most overlooked, ingredients is space. By space, we mean the quiet time where you’re not ticking off your to-do list, responding to emails, or running errands. We’re talking about pure space, blankness, anti-productivity. Time where you’re just doing what you want to do.
Laura and I have both discovered that when we started taking more space, our lives and businesses improved drastically. Our creative ideas flowed more easily. We still had plenty of time to get everything done. And we felt calmer and more tuned in to ourselves than we ever did when we were rushing around.
“Creating space is what allows you to experience freedom, fulfillment, and happiness. You cannot experience those without space. And more money is not the way to space.” - Sonya Stattmann
We’re dedicating this episode of the podcast to space and all the wonderful things it contains. Laura and I talk about our definition of space, why it can be so hard to carve out in our super-busy world, and what increased space has done for us. We also discuss the important link between space and creativity, and why we need quiet and time to tap into our innermost wisdom. We also share some practical tips for creating more space in your life, even if you start with something as small as an extra five minutes to yourself in the morning.
What You’ll Learn:
- Why Laura and I both believe that space is an essential element for a healthy business and thriving creativity.
- How we define space and how to recognize its necessary, productive role in life.
- Why it is so beneficial to create space in your day-to-day life and in the running of your business.
- Why we get some of our best creative ideas when we’re enjoying quiet, rest and blankness.
- How to start carving out small segments of space for yourself.
- Why we think creating space in each day and in each business quarter is a great way to do your best work.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Business Assessment to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
- Brené Brown
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!