Women in the Business Arena™ EP142: How to Define Leadership and Follow Your Own Compass
“That busyness, that fill-every-moment-with-a-productive-action; that whole perspective actually sabotages our genius and our wisdom. Whereas for women, when we have space, when we're relaxed, when we're flowing, when we're out in nature, when we're playing with our kids… there's all these ways in which when we truly have space, all of this wisdom comes to us, right? We're able to access all of these amazing things that we have to give to the world. Our gifts are more abundant. And so that capacity to lead is really the key to leading in my opinion. You have to create space and capacity to access your full potential.” - Sonya Stattmann
Welcome to the new year everyone! I’m so excited for everything this year has in store and I hope you are too. It is a new decade, a new slate, and the perfect time to step into the arena in ways you never have before.
I wanted to share my ideas about leadership with you so much that I decided to hop on a solo episode for this week. I will undoubtedly return to this topic many times over the year with the help of my lovely co-host Laura and some of our guests. I think leadership is an incredibly important topic, especially today and especially for women, so we will be discussing this plenty in 2020. And I have a new leadership program I can’t wait to share with you too (more on that in the episode!).
I think it’s important to define the words we use, and love this definition of leadership: “defining and exhibiting moral and ethical courage”. That is the definition I really want to dig into in this episode.
“We have to develop our own moral compass. What feels right to us, what looks right to us, not for everyone else. When we do this, we really exhibit and show true leadership.” - Sonya Stattmann
In this episode I’m sharing my thoughts on leadership and why I think we as women (and as a society) need to re-assess what we think leadership is. In my opinion, leadership is about much more than just influence. It has to be brewed and cultivated with time and experience, not forced.
I’ll also talk about some of the obstacles that keep women from participating in leadership positions as much as they might like to and why we need to closely examine our past experiences with leadership before we step into it ourselves. And I’ll share a bit more about my new leadership program, Women Changing the Arena™, which I’m thrilled to have out in the world this year.
What You’ll Learn:
- The definitions of leadership that I find particularly useful and powerful.
- Why it is so important to lead and develop yourself first before leading others.
- Some of the obstacles that keep women from leading as much as they might, including our society’s unbalanced relationship with the masculine and feminine.
- Why you should look back at your experiences with leadership if you’re considering stepping into a leadership position.
- The benefits of leadership, especially for women and our unique approach to the world.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Business Assessment to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
- Women Changing the Arena™
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business