Women in the Business Arena™ EP137: Five Things You Probably Don’t Know About Us
“It’s a certain creative mindset that we always had, seeking ‘what’s the challenge here? How can we create solutions?’ In order to do that, you do see the problems - you’re like the canaries in the mines. And I feel like intuitives and creatives, we’re the canaries and we start singing that there’s something wrong or that we need to fix or we’ve got the solution for, and nobody knows why we’re being so adamant about it at the time. It takes time for the consciousness to shift.” - Laura Shook-Guzman
Have you ever wondered how Laura and I got to where we are today, and not just from a business standpoint? We’re having a bit of fun on the podcast today and thought we’d share five things about us that you probably don’t know, from our love of certain books to our travels around the world.
It’s important to see your business as just one piece of a rich, fulfilling, and sometimes difficult journey. That’s why we thought it would be interesting to tease out some of the threads of our lives that have helped us create the lives & businesses that we have today.
“In the moment when we’re going through something hard, sometimes it’s so hard to be grateful. We just want to be mad at it all, or resist it all. But if we can just have the attitude of, ‘What might this situation do to develop me in the future?’ I think that would be a really interesting perspective. Because looking back, all of my hardship, all of my challenges, led me to be who I am today and I wouldn’t take back a single moment for that.” - Sonya Stattmann
In this episode, Laura and I talk a bit about our time living together, how traveling has made us more resilient, and the other interests and businesses we’ve had along the way. We also talk a bit about our amazing, totally-90s prom dresses - you know you want to hear that.
We also chat a bit about why we wouldn’t trade life’s difficult times for anything, because they’ve helped us define our characters and figure out what we are capable of. We’d love to hear a bit about your story, too - let us know what you’ve learned on your journey!
What You’ll Learn:
- What Laura and I bonded over when we lived together and were raising our kids.
- How we’ve evolved in our entrepreneurship journeys through the years.
- What our stints living around the world have taught us about resilience, connection, and the value of new perspectives.
- Why it can be tough if you’re ahead of the curve as an entrepreneur, and why you should persist anyway.
- Why neither of us would trade any of the tough moments or experiences in our lives.
Resources for this Episode:
- Not sure where to take your business next? Looking for more money, fulfillment, or freedom? Take my free, 2-minute Business Assessment to find out where you are now & what strategies to implement to take your business where you want to go.
- Brené Brown
- Soma Vida
Come join us in the Women in the Business Arena Group on Facebook – we’d love to hear about you & your business!